Got the turning points of the war in Europe? Good! Now, it’s on to the other theater – the Pacific!
Use the links below (and any other reliable resource) to add the Pacific component to your awesome WWII maps.
- Check out this overview of the Pacific War
- The Philippines – Check out The Philippines (Bataan) from THE WAR and see how the Philippines fell here – here is a great overview of the Bataan Death March, and aprimary source to bring it to life
- The Doolittle Raid – Check out Doolittle Raid on Japan from the Navy and The Doolittle Raid – History Animated
- Midway – The History Channel has a great overview of the Battle of Midway, and the Navy will tell you all about the Battle of Midway as well – History Animated has an awesome map about Midway
- Kiska and Attu – Here’s a short one about when the Japanese land troops on the islands of Attu and Kiska , and how about another spiffy animated map about the The Aleutians Campaign
- Island Hopping – the Navy has a short site about the Guadalcanal Campaign, and here is some general info about the Island-Hopping Campaign (WWII) – if you are interested, you can find out more about some of the island hopping battles, including Gudalcanal, Kwajalein, Tarawa, Peleliu
- Leyte Gulf – The Department of Defense has a solid site about the 60th Anniversary, Battle of Leyte Gulf, Philippines
- Iwo Jima – History Animated – Iwo Jima is a great overview of this important battle, and so is the History Channel summary
- Okinawa – The History Channel has an article and a video overview of the battle, another great one from History Animated – Okinawa –
- Hiroshima and Nagasaki – from the History Channel, from the BBC
You can watch the video overview below to get a feel for the entire war in that theater. We will watch parts in class as well. lass …