TARGET – I can explain and evaluate the various reasons why people opposed the war in Vietnam.
America’s involvement in Vietnam was the most controversial issue of the 1960s and 70s, and the war created the most vocal and varied opposition of any war in our country’s history. What were the reasons for this opposition? Why did so many Americans oppose the American involvement in Vietnam? That’s your task for Friday / Monday.
To begin, read and watch Vietnam War Protests from the History Channel
You will receive a SPECIFIC protest topic that you will share with your fellow protesters in class. Take a look at the resource(s) and jot down some of the reasons that the topic became controversial during the Vietnam conflict. Make a post on your class bulletin board describing WHY you are opposed to American involvement in Vietnam.
Then, create something that you would use to help spread your views at an anti-war rally during the conflict. You can make a protest sign, a leaflet or pamphlet to hand out, a protest button, a T-shirt – you name it!
- Someone who doubts what happened in the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution, A Somber Lesson
- A member of Congress at the Fullbright Hearings
- A member of Students for a Democratic Society
- Someone who just read about the Pentagon Papers
- A citizen shocked about the Credibility Gap / Credibility Gap
- A citizen who viewed a report about My Lai
- Someone opposing the Draft / Draft
- Someone evading the draft / dodging the draft
- A conscientious objector
- A supporter of Martin Luther King, Jr / MLK Beyond Vietnam
- An African American opposing the war
- An American opposed to the incursion into Cambodia
- A citizen reacting to the The Living Room War / The Living Room War
- A member of Vietnam Veterans Against the War / Vietnam Veterans Against the War
- Someone who just saw a report on The Tet Offensive / The Tet Offensive
- A college professor leading one of the Teach-Ins
- A participant in the May Day Protests
- A participant in the Moratorium to End the War in Vietnam / Moratorium to End the War in Vietnam
- Someone reacting to news about the Kent State shootings / May 4 Shootings at Kent State University
- Someone reacting to news from Jackson State
- Someone hearing about the Sterling Hall Bombing
- Someone opposed to the use of Agent Orange
TAFT’S EXAMPLE PROTEST SIGN