Should the United States have been an imperial nation?
Draw your response!
Overall target – I can evaluate American imperialism from multiple perspectives.
I can create an original and effective editorial cartoon using cartooning techniques.
You’ve seen a to of them in the last few weeks, so now it’s your turn to create an editorial cartoon commenting on American imperialism. You will draw a SINGLE CARTOON either supporting or opposing some aspect of imperialism, either general or specific.
- Make sure you have an ISSUE as the subject of your cartoon. You can draw your cartoon about imperialism in general or a single specific event involving American imperialism. THink about the comments brought up in our debates!
- Think of some of the TECHNIQUES you saw in the recent cartoons in class – symbolism, analogy or comparison, stereotype, exaggeration, caricature, references, sarcasm – but you can’t use them all
- Have a clear and insightful COMMENT (or thesis) – but not one that is too obvious
- Pay attention to NEATNESS AND DETAIL, and make it more than just a series of scratches on a piece of paper
- Draw it on a full sheet of unlined printer paper, hand it in WITH YOUR NAME ON THE BACK, and take a picture of it so it can be shared online
HINT – The easiest way to create a cartoon is to think of your comment (thesis) first, then apply one or two of the techniques.