It “can hardly be argued that either students or teachers shed their constitutional rights to freedom of speech or expression at the schoolhouse gate” (Tinker v. Des Moines, 1969)
What are your rights … in school? While USM is a private school, and rights are much more limited, it’s important to know how the courts both protect and limit students’ rights. Plus, it’s fun. So, for your assigned case …
- Read the basic overview or facts of the case AND the Court that heard the case.
- Determine the First Amendment issue involved in the case and the specific question that is being addressed by the Court.
- Find the actual decision of the Court and summarize it one or two complete sentences on your paper.
- Determine if this is an example of a student’s rights being protected or limited.
- Alabama and Coushatta Tribes of Texas v. Big Sandy School District
- Bethel School Dist. No. 403 v. Fraser / Bethel School District No. 403 v. Fraser
- Bivens v. Albuquerque Public Schools (go to page 19) / Bivens v. Albuquerque Public Schools
- Blue Mountain School District v. J.S. / Blue Mountain School District v. J.S.
- Board of Education of Westside Community Schools v. Mergens / Board of Education of Westide v. Mergens
- Board of Education, Island Trees Union Free School District No. 26 v. Pico / Board of Education, Island Trees Union Free School District No. 26 v. Pico
- Boroff v. Van Wert City Board of Education
- Broussard v. Sch. Bd. of the City of Norfolk
- Canady v. Bossier Parish School Board
- Chambers v. Babbitt
- Counts v. Cedarville School District (scroll down or search in the page) / Counts v. Cedarville School District
- Dariano vs. Morgan Hill Unified School District / Dariano vs. Morgan Hill Unified School District
- Hazelwood Sch. Dist.. v. Kuhlmeier
- J.S. v. Bethlehem Area School District
- Karr v. Schmidt
- Klein v. Smith / Klein v. Smith
- Lavine v. Blaine School District
- Morse v. Frederick / Morse v. Frederick
- Pyle v. School Committee of South Hadley
- Santa Fe Independent School District v. Doe / Santa Fe Independent School District v. Doe
- Wallace v. Jaffree / Wallace v. Jaffree
- West v. Derby Unified School District No. 260
Like learning about this stuff? Want more? Check out …
Teens Rights and Responsibilities – parts of the book on Google Books
Banned in School – a personal website, but a pretty comprehensive overview of First Amendment issues in school today