DO YOU WANT TO SUCCEED?
In June, I asked my graduating historians to give some words of wisdom to their successors. Here are a few tidbits of advice from last year's students.
In order to succeed in 8th Grade American History ...
Want to see some past suggestions? 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 20092011 2012
- If you forget to do something in your
notebook, don't let it slide. I promise you, it will build up until the
notebook is a huge pain in the neck and it drags your grade down with it.
- Don't be afraid of Mr. Taft. He isn't THAT
- You got to go out for the primary resources for
NHD. This will get you in a better spot then many other students.
- If you weren't able to finish your homework
because you had soccer practice the night before and when you went home you
were exhausted and went straight to bed, tell him that. He'll believe it and
give you a chance. But, don't do it too frequently. It might get suspicious.
- Remember to always prepare ahead of time for
tests and quizzes, studying the last minute doesn't work. When Mr. Taft assigns
homework ahead of time, just do it that day, don't wait the night before
- Always find some time to work on NHD a little
every night or on weekend.
- And remember, Organization is the key to
success, Live it Love it Learn it.
- Use the online study guides and go to review
sessions (they're really helpful)
- Participate in debates; you will regret it if
you do not.
- Listen. Mr.Taft literally says everything you
need to know.
- Don't click pens.
- Stay on top of your homework because most of
the time the homework is a large part of the next day's class.
- If you relate what were learning to outside
world it easier to remember
- Just do your homework. It's not that hard and
they're pretty interesting subjects and there's no reason not to do it.
- Don't mess up the technology with you mind.
That's not very nice.
- Be ready for anything (you never know what the
- Study hard (Mr. Taft likes to challenge you)
- If you cant get homework done, email Taft.
- Don't let games or other things distract you.
- Take class seriously
- Keep your binders organized throughout the
- If you are having trouble in class go see Mr. Taft
for extra help.
- Always try your hardest.
- Stay on top of your homework and don't
procrastinate! With the homework load being so high, you can't afford to fall
- Study for tests gradually.
- Space out your work for NHD.
- Enjoy it while it lasts.
- Be honest. If you don't do you work don't make
up a lame excuse, just let Taft know and he'll understand
- Stay organized- Binder checks are some of the
biggest grades you'll have so stay on top of things. Stay organized throughout
the unit and don't wait until the last night to update your notebook.
- Have full Lions gear.
- Get your homework done. If Taft is having you
do it, it's probably important.
- Don't cheat on open note quizzes (with other
- Have amazing reflexes
- Try! All you really need to do is your best!
- Know that Mr. Taft is in
love with Mr. Schwieters.